Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The "fairisim"


It’s been a long time since I actually wrote on my blog. Off and on so many topics on which I have wanted to blog, have crossed my mind. But the honest fact is that I have been lazy - its certainly no “writer’s block”


Well today I decided to blog about "fair" racism. Hmm... thats a touchy topic. Now how on earth is racism fair?? Read on, you will know what I mean !!

I am talking about the commonly practiced racism on India based on color. Aaaah!!! Now you get it  :)

A few years back, at our annual party @ Deloitte we has an standup comedian. He made a few jokes about this kind of differentiation that we see in India. That got me thinking. Is this true?  For a fact I have seen this differentiation based on color. We all are so biased on this one factor.

You can divided India into basically two categories: obviously one being the fair one and the other being the dark ones. General obversation: most south indians (me including) are the "dusky beauties". Nice way the say dark ha? While, in the north, most of them are generally pretty fair.

It comes as a surprise to them if they see a fair southie! For the record my granny is very fair and unfortunately I have not inherited of it (ooops, guess I too am obssessed about the color factor) India is probably one the leading markets for fairness products. Here even men are not spared. Now-a-days the market is full of men's fairness creams!!

Moving on, even in movies, no matter the color of the actor, the songs always personify how fair they are. It's either "gori hai kalahi" or "yeh gore gore gal". Think about it.

Truthfully, as a kid, I used to wish that I had lighter skin. I do not think this issue to be encouraged. I am not trying to blame anyone of hurt anyone's feeling. The idea behind this blog is just to get laugh on ourselves, cause at times, we can be prejudiced on a silly feature like skin color.

P.S. This blog is based on my experience in India and not intended for any one particular person

No comments:

Post a Comment